I have been a busy bee. After I selected these fabrics for a Wonky Improv-Curve quilt, there was lots to do.
First I cut a 16.6 inch square from each fabric. Then I stacked them and drew a curved line on the top fabric. The stack was too thick to use a rotary cutter, so I cut the curve the old fashioned way and using scissors. Then I stitched together pairs of mismatched fabric.
Next, I drew the second curve and repeated the process. You can see that the blocks were not laying absolutely flat, but that wasn't a problem until the third curve was stitched in.
I thought of a couple of solutions, but decided to "sleep" on it. I've always been able to problem solve while sleeping. I work up this morning with my solution. I did a trial to make sure I'd be happy with the result.
First I sliced two blocks in two. You can see that the cut edges ended up curved! I used the top and bottom of each piece to make a straight line, and get rid of the curve. Then I joined one half of each block, to make two new blocks. I trued them up to 13.75 inches square, to get rid of all those jagged edges.
And these two blocks are the result.
I performed the slicing, trimming and re-joining process on the remainder of the blocks, but this time I didn't work with two blocks at a time, so the placement was more random. Above isn't the final layout, but it's close.
This is a photo of the instructions that were given on making a Wonky Curves block. I started with smaller squares because most of the fabric I pulled was half yard cuts, so no 20 inch squares. But, hey, it's improv!
May your bobbins always be full,