August 18, 2012

Stash-busting Random Patchwork quilt top


I have been busy, I just haven't been blogging about what I was doing.  After I completed the top and back of the Kites quilt, I set about developing a plan for using the scraps leftover from the free stack of FQ's I'd won.


There wasn't a ton of the solid scraps; I decided to cut 4.5" strips and sub-cut 4.5" squares.  There weren't many; I went to my stash of FQ's and large scraps and pulled 3 or 4 prints to match each of the original 10 solids.  First I cut 6 of each print, then decided that wasn't enough; I cut more.  I strip-pieced, then sewed rows of 4, made blocks; then joined them all together.  I really tried to keep the whole quilt top random; I calling it random enough!


The finished quilt top is 64" x 56".   Some of these prints I would never "put together"; but made into a patchwork with the solids, I think they all work. I'll wait a couple of days to work on the quilt back.  Plus, I have some narrow solid strips left that I hope will be a great baby quilt.

May your bobbins always be full,

4 comments

  1. G'day Jan. That looks just great. Well done. All of the colours blend really well together. Good on you. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best thing about a scrap quilt is that they always seem to look random and they are so colorful. Your kites quilt is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are bright, happy, scrappy fun! I love that you have a couple more finishes ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks awesome! Solids are great to mix up with prints and with them any combo of colour goes =D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy replying to all comments that have an email address attached. If you are not on Blogger please include an email address within your comment--then I can say hi back!

Happy Quilting!


UP