August 26, 2016

The Lawn Diamond Quilt Top is Finished!

I'm so happy to have this quilt top finished.  It was a real PIA, "pain in the ass" to work on and finish.  If you follow me on IG you know all about it.

I started with 20 different solids and the pattern suggested coloring in the spaces to get your placement correct.  No way was that going to work with all these colors.  Below is my solution:

I used the fabric selvages to  determine which solid goes where on each of the 120 blocks.  No way coloring would have worked!

After putting together the first 40 blocks, the monotony of chain piecing these blocks really got to me.  It's so boring, worth it, but boring.  That's when I took a break and made 6 Mail Sack Bags.

Finally, the blocks were all put together, and I could tear the papers off the back.  I only tore off 24 at a time in order to keep them organized in the correct position.  The first 24 are above, then there were 48!

After that, it went pretty fast.  I spent last evening taking the papers off of the rest of the blocks and keeping them organized on trays.  Today I assembled the  remaining 72 blocks, working in sets of 24.  It took most of my day to get it done.

It was worth all the effort and headaches.  I love it.  (I do not recommend this pattern for beginning quilters or for someone who has not done any previous paper-piecing.  The pattern offers no help for beginners.)

Lawn Diamond Quilt Top:
Started on June 30, 2016
Finished on August 26, 2016
Measurements 54 x 60 inches

May your bobbins always be full,

August 17, 2016

Mail Sack Bags

Six Mail Sack bags finished!

A couple of weeks ago I did a fabric pull of canvas.  My cousin Brooke is legally blind, she can see about 10% of what she should, so she really can't sew.  She sent me a photo of a bucket bag, nothing special, and asked if I could make one.  I told her, Sure, but wouldn.t you rather have something like this:

I'd made these two for Sharon and myself.  So I made Brooke a Mail Sack bag, and when it was finished, I thought, "That was fun, I think I'll make some more!  In the last two weeks, I've made a total of six mail sack bags.

I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old, for 64 years.  This bag is for me!

All the bags have the same aqua and white polka-dot lining and mixed up pockets.  I think those have become my signature.  Now, I ready to get back to the Lawn Diamond quilt that I took a much needed break from.

May your bobbins always be full,

August 15, 2016

2016 Los Angeles Quilt Show

The Los Angeles Quilt Show is in its infancy, this is the third year it's been held.  It takes place in San Pedro at a wonderful space called CRAFTED!  The past two years my daughter Sharon has gone with me.  This year my daughter Carrie and granddaughter Erin were visiting from NC, so they were able to go with us.  The lone male is grandson Oden, who didn't want to be left out of the fun.

Warning there are way too many photos, but hey, it's quilts!  First I'm showing off my two quilts, which if you read this blog, you've read a lot about them.

First is my Rocket Ship quilt.  It was part of the Northcott Chip Pack Challenge.  I'm really proud of this design.

Next, is my two-sided quilt, made for the Riley Black Challenge.  I really love how the hanging sleeve blends right in.

Now for some of the other fabulous quilts!

This is a simple but lively quilt.  Love the use of colors.  It was made by Gayle Bennett, using the Belle Wave pattern by Faith Jones of Fresh Lemon Quilts.

This one is called "Flights of Fun", by Amber Jordan.  She was inspired by the Disneyland art of Mary Blair.  Amber is a new quilter.  Bravo!

Art from Ashes is by Carol Churchill.   This is a political statement born from the loss of antiquities in the Middle East.  "Civilization cannot exist without art and art cannot exist without civilization."

Colorful Strips 'n Curves by Lauri Mutalipassi.  She took her inspiration from the book Strips 'n Curves by Louisa L. Smith.  

This quilt by Kristin M. Burke was inspired by Josef Albers' "Homage to the Square".   She used hand-dyed fabric.

La Pinata by Yolanda Barrozo was inspired by childhood memories.  This is the first time she's used foundation paper-piecing.

Gwami's Quilt by Mary Montgomery is an homage to her great-great-grandmother  Rhoda Ann Goodrich.  No two combinations of blue and white prints are repeated n the quilt.

I love two-sided quilts.  This one, Glyph made by Christine Castano, is fabulous.  She made it to celebrate her stepson's degree in Art Education.  She used over 100 fabrics to depict the school colors and his various interest.

Amish Goes Batik by Diane Wing, is a wedding gift for her nephew Patrick and his bride Laura.

Kersey Girls present Valery Johnson "Flowers Everywhere"

I-10 East San Bernardino by Andre' Morand, is another great two-sided quilt.

Fire Island Hosta by Marie Watterlond.  The pattern is by Julie Niemeyer and Marie did most of the piecing in a workshop with Julie!  The exquisite quilting is by Georganna Hawley.

I hope you enjoyed this tour of the quilts at the Los Angeles Quilt Show.  The show isn't limited to quilts, other fiber arts are accepted.  Look at this great chair and footstool called Tropical Madness by Kelly Reid.  I wouldn't mind taking those home.

The Los Angeles Quilt Show has almost doubled in size in the last three years, but there's still a lot of room for more entries.
May your bobbins always be full,